Anthony Spano, L1710, Chicopee, MA


IAFF LODD - Anthony Spano, L1710, Chicopee, MA - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Firefighter Anthony Spano of IAFF Local 1710, Chicopee, MA. Brother Spano, 47, passed away on March 30, 2017 from a heart attack. The visitation will be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2017 from 4:00 to 7:00 PM at the Cierpial Funeral Home, 67 East Street, Chicopee MA, 01020; phone 4...
Continue reading
Tags:

Working Smoke Alarms Alert Family To Centreville Townhouse Fire


On Thursday, March 30, at approximately 4:23 a.m., units were dispatched for a fire in a townhouse in the 6900 block of Compton Valley Court in the Centreville section of Fairfax County. Upon arrival, units found a three-story, middle of the row townhouse with fire and smoke showing from a second floor window in the rear of the home. The fire appeared to be rapidly spreading to the attic. Fir...
Continue reading

Arthur L. Ricks, L0073, Saint Louis, MO


IAFF LODD - Arthur L. Ricks, L0073, Saint Louis, MO - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Captain Arthur L. Ricks of IAFF Local 73, St. Louis, MO. Brother Ricks passed away from colon cancer on Thursday, March 30, 2017. The visitation will be held on Sunday, April 2, 2017 from 3:00-8:00 PM at the John Ziegenhein Funeral Home, 7027 Gravois Avenue, St. Louis, MO ...
Continue reading

Malfunctioning Clothes Dryer Causes Franconia Townhouse Fire


On Tuesday, March 28, at approximately 7:07 p.m., units were dispatched for a report of a townhouse fire in the 6400 block of in the Franconia section of Fairfax County.  Upon arrival, units found a three-story, end unit townhouse with fire and smoke showing from a second floor window. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the kitchen area of the home. There were no firefigh...
Continue reading

Chris L. Foster, L3663, Demopolis, AL


IAFF LODD - Chris L. Foster, L3663, Demopolis, AL - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Lieutenant Christopher Foster IAFF Local 3663, Demopolis, Alabama. Brother Foster, 54, passed away from cardiac arrest on March 23, 2017. The funeral was held on March 27, 2017. Expressions of sympathy or condolences for the family or the Local can be sent to IAFF Local 3663...
Continue reading

Steve Buser, L0625, Ames, IA


IAFF LODD - Steve Buser, L0625, Ames, IA - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Firefighter Steve Buser of IAFF Local 625, Ames, Iowa. Brother Buser, 51, passed away on Friday, March 17, 2017 from cardiac arrest. A Memorial Service will be held at the Ames Auditorium, 515 Clark Avenue, Ames, Iowa, 50010 on Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM; phone 515-294-3347....
Continue reading
Tags:

James Perez, L0574, Savannah, GA


IAFF LODD - James Perez, L0574, Savannah, GA - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Advanced Firefighter James Perez of IAFF Local 574, Savannah, Georgia. Brother Perez, 25, passed away from liver cancer on March 17, 2017. The Fire Service Celebration of Life will be held on Sunday, March 26, 2017 beginning at 4:00 PM at the Compassion Christian Church, Adult Mi...
Continue reading
Tags:

REPLICA legislation continues to compromise EMS care

Seven states have enacted legislation that negativelyaffects EMS jobs and wages. Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Tennessee, Texas,Utah, Virginia and Wyoming have all approved the Recognition of EMS Personnel LicensureInterstate CompAct (REPLICA) over the past year , which poses a serious threat to IAFFaffiliates everywhere, compromises quality care and service to the communitiesthey serve. States such as...
Continue reading

Youth Firesetting a Growing Public Safety Concern


Two teenaged boys tossed lit matches along the Chimney Tops trail in the Smokey Mountains in Late November. The act resulted in 14 deaths, damaged 2,500 buildings and shut down the city of Gatlinburg, Tennessee during the peak of its winter tourism season. In Helena, Montana, three intoxicated 13-year-olds set fire to a high school, resulting in $1 million in damage. These are two examples of stor...
Continue reading
Tags:

Battalion 2 - January 2016

Richard Merrell  Attended morning union meeting held at Fairfax Moose Lodge. Made motion to hold all General Membership Meetings at 0800 rather than the flip/flop schedule we currently have. Motion will come before the membership at the March 2nd meeting for final vote. B-shift coming off duty so get your troops to the meeting and free breakfast.  Attended January L2068 Executive Board Meeting h...
Continue reading

Battalion 1 - May 2015

Jason Peterson Coordinated with outgoing 1st Battalion rep Thomas Biller on names of potential station stewards and communicated on 1st battalion ongoing business and points of contact.  Made initial contact to several stations within the 1st battalion.  Attended Fairfax County Sheriff's Union's Executive board session with VA Local 512's leadership in attendance.  Spoke on issues with the sheriff...
Continue reading

Fire Fighters and Cancer Risks

Fire fighters are exposed every day to harsh toxins and chemicals that increase their risk for contracting some form of cancer. This emotional video, which features Boston, Massachusetts fire fighters, is a sobering reminder of the dangers of working in the fire service. Occupational carcinogens include diesel exhaust, benzene, formaldehyde, asbestos and various combustion byproducts f...
Continue reading

New Hampshire Members Awarded Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award

Durham, NH Local 2253 Secretary David Blatchford is the newest IAFF member to be honored with Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award for his part in a successful three-year campaign to install the first automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in two University of New Hampshire sorority houses – Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Phi. Original link

Serious Flaw in NEST Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Serious Flaw in NEST Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
b2ap3_thumbnail_Nest-Smoke-Alarm.jpg
Nest Labs has halted sales of its smoke and carbon monoxide detectors over company and customer concerns that users could unintentionally disable the device by waving their hands in front of it. One of the most praised features from reviewers is that you could disable the alarm with a simple wave for those instances where you burnt toast or allowed your husband to cook dinner. The issue ...
Continue reading

Fire Rescue Brings Wellness In Our Community to Fairfax County

Fire Rescue Brings Wellness In Our Community to Fairfax County
b2ap3_thumbnail_fileoflife.jpg
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue will launch its second community outreach initiative branded "Wellness In Our Community" (WIOC), in support of "preventing the 9-1-1 call," Wednesday, April 2, 2104, at 11:30 a.m. Fire Chief Richard Bowers and county officials will kick off the initiative at Fire and Rescue Station 40, Fairfax Center, 4621 Legato Road, Fairfax, Virginia. The program aims to save live...
Continue reading

Upcoming Events

View All Events