Working Smoke Alarms Alert Family To Centreville Townhouse Fire


On Thursday, March 30, at approximately 4:23 a.m., units were dispatched for a fire in a townhouse in the 6900 block of Compton Valley Court in the Centreville section of Fairfax County. Upon arrival, units found a three-story, middle of the row townhouse with fire and smoke showing from a second floor window in the rear of the home. The fire appeared to be rapidly spreading to the attic. Fir...
Continue reading

Arthur L. Ricks, L0073, Saint Louis, MO


IAFF LODD - Arthur L. Ricks, L0073, Saint Louis, MO - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Captain Arthur L. Ricks of IAFF Local 73, St. Louis, MO. Brother Ricks passed away from colon cancer on Thursday, March 30, 2017. The visitation will be held on Sunday, April 2, 2017 from 3:00-8:00 PM at the John Ziegenhein Funeral Home, 7027 Gravois Avenue, St. Louis, MO ...
Continue reading

Chris L. Foster, L3663, Demopolis, AL


IAFF LODD - Chris L. Foster, L3663, Demopolis, AL - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Lieutenant Christopher Foster IAFF Local 3663, Demopolis, Alabama. Brother Foster, 54, passed away from cardiac arrest on March 23, 2017. The funeral was held on March 27, 2017. Expressions of sympathy or condolences for the family or the Local can be sent to IAFF Local 3663...
Continue reading

Steve Buser, L0625, Ames, IA


IAFF LODD - Steve Buser, L0625, Ames, IA - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Firefighter Steve Buser of IAFF Local 625, Ames, Iowa. Brother Buser, 51, passed away on Friday, March 17, 2017 from cardiac arrest. A Memorial Service will be held at the Ames Auditorium, 515 Clark Avenue, Ames, Iowa, 50010 on Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM; phone 515-294-3347....
Continue reading
Tags:

James Perez, L0574, Savannah, GA


IAFF LODD - James Perez, L0574, Savannah, GA - It is with deepest regret and sorrow to report the line-of-duty death of Advanced Firefighter James Perez of IAFF Local 574, Savannah, Georgia. Brother Perez, 25, passed away from liver cancer on March 17, 2017. The Fire Service Celebration of Life will be held on Sunday, March 26, 2017 beginning at 4:00 PM at the Compassion Christian Church, Adult Mi...
Continue reading
Tags:

Fire Fighters and Cancer Risks

Fire fighters are exposed every day to harsh toxins and chemicals that increase their risk for contracting some form of cancer. This emotional video, which features Boston, Massachusetts fire fighters, is a sobering reminder of the dangers of working in the fire service. Occupational carcinogens include diesel exhaust, benzene, formaldehyde, asbestos and various combustion byproducts f...
Continue reading

Copyright

© IAFF

Serious Flaw in NEST Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Serious Flaw in NEST Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
b2ap3_thumbnail_Nest-Smoke-Alarm.jpg
Nest Labs has halted sales of its smoke and carbon monoxide detectors over company and customer concerns that users could unintentionally disable the device by waving their hands in front of it. One of the most praised features from reviewers is that you could disable the alarm with a simple wave for those instances where you burnt toast or allowed your husband to cook dinner. The issue ...
Continue reading

Fire Rescue Brings Wellness In Our Community to Fairfax County

Fire Rescue Brings Wellness In Our Community to Fairfax County
b2ap3_thumbnail_fileoflife.jpg
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue will launch its second community outreach initiative branded "Wellness In Our Community" (WIOC), in support of "preventing the 9-1-1 call," Wednesday, April 2, 2104, at 11:30 a.m. Fire Chief Richard Bowers and county officials will kick off the initiative at Fire and Rescue Station 40, Fairfax Center, 4621 Legato Road, Fairfax, Virginia. The program aims to save live...
Continue reading

VIDEO: Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe Speaks at IAFF Conference

VIDEO: Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe Speaks at IAFF Conference
Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe  recently spoke at the Alfred K. Whitehead Legislative Conference on March 17 in Washington, D.C.  (Watch the video below) The conference is the cornerstone of the IAFF's legislative efforts. The IAFF has won significant legislative victories on Capitol Hill due largely to the relationships that local IAFF leaders have with their elected officials. The L...
Continue reading

VIDEO: Rep. Gerry Connolly Speaks at IAFF Legislative Conference 2014

VIDEO: Rep. Gerry Connolly Speaks at IAFF Legislative Conference 2014
Representative Gerry Connolly (D-VA) recently spoke at the Alfred K. Whitehead Legislative Conference on March 17 in Washington, D.C.  (Watch the video below) The conference is the cornerstone of the IAFF's legislative efforts. The IAFF has won significant legislative victories on Capitol Hill due largely to the relationships that local IAFF leaders have with their elected officials. The Legi...
Continue reading

Early Morning West Annandale Vehicle Fire Caused by Molotov Cocktail Device

Early Morning West Annandale Vehicle Fire Caused by Molotov Cocktail Device
b2ap3_thumbnail_frd-general-blog-post.jpg
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a vehicle fire Friday, January 10, 2014, at approximately 1:35 a.m., in the West Annandale area of Fairfax County. The vehicle was located at 9202 Ashmeade Drive. Firefighters encountered a fully involved vehicle on fire in a driveway upon arrival. Firefighters conducted a rapid fire attack and extinguished the fire to a Honda Odyssey va...
Continue reading

NEVER FORGET: 10 January 1968, Fairfax County Firefighter Dies Trapped Under Thick Lake Anne Ice

NEVER FORGET: 10 January 1968, Fairfax County Firefighter Dies Trapped Under Thick Lake Anne Ice
b2ap3_thumbnail_earlcane.jpg
Fairfax County suffered a tragic loss with the death of Firefighter Earl Warren Kane. Firefighter Kane was the first line-of-duty death in the department's short history. It was January 10, 1968 when the Fairfax County Fire Department was dispatched for a reported child who fell through the ice at Lake Anne in Reston, Virginia. The average daily temperatures in the early part of January 1968 range...
Continue reading

Match Discarded Into Trash Causes Lorton Townhouse Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire, Tuesday, January 7, 2014, at approximately 9:10 a.m., in the Lorton area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 8584 Enochs Drive. Firefighters encountered smoke coming from two floors of the three-story, middle unit townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly ex...
Continue reading

Falls Church Nail Salon Fire Accidental

Falls Church Nail Salon Fire Accidental
b2ap3_thumbnail_fairfax-fire-nail-salon.jpg
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a commercial building fire, Friday, January 3, 2014, at approximately 3:10 p.m., in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The building, Skyline Nail Supply, is located at 7234 Arlington Boulevard. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the store, an end unit located in a strip shopping center upon arriva...
Continue reading

Weekend Fire Claims Storage Building at Madeira School


Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a structure fire Sunday, January 5, 2014, at approximately 4:05 p.m., in the McLean area of Fairfax County. The maintenance and storage building is on the grounds of the Madeira School, 8328 Georgetown Pike. Firefighters encountered a building approximately 75 by 75 feet fully involved with fire upon arrival. Firefighters fought the fire...
Continue reading