Thursday, 4/5/12 in McLean, VA-- Another day of Spring Break for most kids in the local school district. To this family of five, this was no exception.
Upon further investigation, what was thought to be a spark from the lawn mower igniting some nearby leaves and setting them on fire was actually a juvenile playing with a lighter. The fire then spread to their shed, and the flames from the shed spread to the left side of their house.
The fire crews were plentiful and relatively quick to respond. The first responders were from Arlington and McLean, the town where the fire took place, and were soon joined by additional fire crews from the neighboring cities of Falls Church and Vienna. Eventually, fire crews from Reston arrived, over 12 miles away from the scene where smoke was still visible. In total, over 60 fire units responded to this fire, which took place at around 10:45am.
All five members of the family managed to escape without injury, though the house is now heavily in need of repair. In fact, damage is estimated to be over $100000.